Savouring Kuching food

I was in Kuching the weekend before as a get-away from the boring Bintulu town. The main reason to go there was also to satistfy my cravings for some authentic Kuching food. It's been a long time since I last visited Kuching. Here are some food that I tried during my visit:



My dire for kolok mee is the worst as there is no other place in Sarawak that serves a descent bowl of kolok mee other than Kuching. In other parts of Sarawak, people prefer 'kampua'. These two mee is quite the same, both are dry, served with minced pork and char-siew, but the texture and taste is completely different. As for what type of mee I prefer is quite obvious or else I won't waste RM145 to fly to Kuching just to have a bite of kolok mee. The one showed in the picture is prepared by my uncle. He owned a store in Everise 4 1/2 mile. I just can't get enough of this mee, I want to have it every morning....I don't care that it's oily and fattening, i want more!!



This is teh-c-peng special, a.k.a 3 layer teh-c-peng. The 3 layer from top is the tea, milk and brown sugar. I've even tried 5 layer one, with the extra 2 being cincau and small wheat grass. However, the taste is not teh-c-peng anymore. For authentic teh-c-peng taste, go for the 3 layer one, it's still the best



The ABC and chendol here is also way better than those in Bintulu (in my opinion). And most importantly, i just prefer the name of this cendol shop, it is owned by me!!! (that's my chinese name!!) muahaha....speaking of familiar names, I saw quite a lot during my visit, first I saw this beauty shop with Kai Sze's name on it, then I saw my surname on a piece of wood in the Civic centre.




For dinner, my uncle treat us to a stall in Batu Lintang called lok garden. They had come here since my grandpa time. Well, I don't find it really good tasting, the food is just pretty cheap. Here are some dishes we had - oyster omelette, sweet & sour pork ribs, planta prawns, mango fish, sea cucumber soup, lemon chicken and 'billin' (local vegetable)



The last dish I want to show is Sarawak laksa. It's totally different from Penang laksa. It's spicy and is cooked with meehon. It's usually served with fried eggs, dried taufu, bean sprouts, chicken slices, prawns, etc.


That's it, actually not much as I was there for 1 & 1/2 days only. Most probably my family will be moving there next year, so I still got plenty of chance to savour my favourite kolok mee...if I can do my houseman year there.

1 comments:

  1. K.K. said,

    That's the traditional chinese character of "Kai" on that signage. Now I know how ulu Kuching is.

    Fuck Kuching, get yourself a BMW R1200GS and let's see the world!

    on December 13, 2006 at 12:31 PM